Monday, April 20, 2009

An Unexpected trip to Yorktown

We received news a few days ago about Brooke's grandpa's condition. "Papa" has been in hospice for a few months now. Just last week, his condition turned; leaving him in the hospice house. The doctor estimated only a short time left. So, after church service yesterday, we jumped in the car and made the 600 mile journey to Yorktown. This morning, my body is full of various pains from the car ride and the softball game on Saturday (I'm too young to feel old). I anticipate an emotional visit here.

It's always hard to say goodbye to loved ones. In just a few minutes, Brooke and I will be heading over to the house to visit papa. We are going there to encourage him, love him, and let him know that we appreciate him. Above all that, we want to know if he is ready to see Jesus. Brooke has spoken with him in the past about his faith, and hasn't been given any sign of an absolute hope. This morning, the Word reminded me of the everlasting hope, a hope that never disappoints, a hope that never fails. This hope that we want papa to have is a hope that we can't give him personally. I pray the Holy Spirit will draw him today to that hope, or refresh us in our visit that the hope is already there! I love what Hebrews 11:1 says about faith. We indeed have faith in the Risen Savior, the hope for all generations! May this hope, may the message of Christ dwell richly in papa today. Please pray for him. Please pray for Brooke and her family.

Every morning, I wake up with more anticipation, more love for my Father who reigns victoriously in glory. Oh friend, we indeed receive the treasures of His grace daily; in His Word, in His revelation. Enjoy time with the Almighty today. If you don't have a certain passage to read, I invite you to read Acts 17. I love the passion, the boldness, the confidence of Paul. This woke me up this morning (mixed in with 2 dogs parking and 2 birds screaming...about 8-10 feet away from my head).

Soli Deo Gloria!

Dave

2 comments:

Canyon Shearer, DMin said...

Dave and Brooke,

I hope things are well in Virginia. Dave, I missed our weekly meeting, but it gave me an opportunity to pray for many things, including you and Brooke's ministry(s). It is a joy and honor to labor beside you. Keep up the good fight of faith, keep running the race.

in Charity,
Canyon

Brooke said...

I love you! Thank you for taking me to YC VA. I love Papa as well. I pray that he made peace with our Lord before he passed. I tremble at the thought of what he is experiencing right now. I hope he had a good meeting with our King...