Thursday, November 5, 2009

All I did was a game

Last night at OIKOS (our High School Wednesday night worship service), I led a game. I've been in student ministry for 8 years now. I've accomplished a seminary degree, ordination, and tons of joyful ministry experience...but last night; I led a game. It was comical and joyful at the same time. Years of preparation and leadership led to...a 10 minute game. Would you like to know why? The sweet aroma of Christ in student leaders placed a service around His all satisfying glory.

For the past two months, I've allowed different high school students preach the Word at OIKOS. Last night, one of our seniors preached a fantastic message from Colossians 3:1-17; on going from the old self to new self. The sermon was a brilliant exposition and joyful application of the text. The preacher was a young man who has found all satisfaction in Christ alone. This same young man was one of our greatest challenges four years ago. It's amazing to see how the Spirit has moved in his life in the past 4 years. His old self on many nights, led me to want to put my hands around his neck! His new self leads me to put my arms around him in a brotherhood embrace. The month before, we had another senior in high school preach a message centered on the glory of our eternal citizenship in glory. Again, a fantastic sermon...by a guy who has never stepped into a seminary classroom. These two months...and several more to come (we'll see at least 4-5 more young preachers preach), have led me to such unspeakable joy. Last night, all I did was a game.

The music...brilliant songs of theology, was led by high school students as well. Again, all I did was a game. 5 songs pointing worshippers to the cross, the crown, and the resurrection. 5 songs led by students who are right now in class as I type these words. It was rich worship. The music wasn't "me-centered," but, "God-centered." No seminary. No ordination. Just joyful worshippers in love with their Savior.

I love my students. There are countless more that desire to proclaim the Excellencies of the One that has rescued them from their depravity. I love my students. There are countless more that faithfully declare His infinite love to their lost classmates each day. I love my students. I cherish the moments in which I sit back and allow them to minister to me. I am responsible for leading future husbands, wives, dads, moms, and leaders in the church. What an honor and tremendous task the gracious Lord has given me. Last night, the service was led in Spirit and Truth (John 4:24), by students. All I did was a game...

Why am I still at my church? Last night, I saw a service that drew my heart to joy and my assurance that this generation can lead. What joy I've received in the last 4 years at Summit.

Last night, all I did was a game. All my students did was lead in a service of boasting in the Gospel.

This verse comes to mind as I close: Let no one despise you for your youth, but set the believers an example in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity. - 1 Timothy 4:12, ESV.

Soli Deo Gloria!

Dave

No comments: