Monday, November 23, 2009

Church folks

I had a slow start to this morning. My computer was slow to turn on in my office which led to an impatient walk downstairs to get more coffee in the church office. I think it's funny how the Lord places us and works in us for His sovereign glory at times that is the most unexpected. I think it's glorious how a slow computer, slow morning, and slow youth minister can experience the joy of lessons taught without a book being opened.

Church folks are interesting. I've met many types of people in my years of attending and working on staff at the church. Some folks come to get an emotional fill for the week. This fill can serve like a "pick me up" to get them through the next difficult work week. Some folks come to receive joy in serving or teaching. Some folks come to hurt and gossip because of unrepentant sin that holds their souls in prison. Some folks come to love and encourage one another. Some folks come because they are absolutely amazed by Jesus. Church folks come in various types and forms. This morning, I want to submit to you two church folks that I met in my short time of coffee refilling and impatient walking.

The first church folk example came with a guy that attends faithfully each week. In the short 5 minutes of talking, he continued to reveal to me his sin. This man struggles with absolute authority of Scripture, submission to leadership, and the joy of everlasting grace in Christ alone. This man is very political, bitter, and stubborn in areas that discourage others. In just a few minutes of talking, he reminded me that he doesn't' agree with me in some areas of my leading and preaching...which connects his reasoning to why he wasn't a leader in the military. I see pride and unrepentant sin in his life. I hurt for this man. There are church folks like this man. If you see them, love them. Speak the words of Christ to them. Don't give up on them.

The second church folk example came from one of my heroes. His name is Gene. This saint is now in his upper 80's. He has walked faithfully in the joy of the Lord for several decades. His body is breaking down. Each day, he carries pain and sickness that I can't even imagine. However, his joy in Christ is contagious. A few years ago, in my selfishness, I had a stressful day with juggling ministry and seminary. In my office, I sat; a 25 year old man that allowed carnality to interfere with the joy of the morning. Gene walked in, said a few words of encouragement to me, and gave me the reminder of Christ's everlasting joy that no class could ever teach. Today, directly after the prideful talk of the first church folk man, Gene looked me in the eyes and told me he loved me. HE HAS UNSPEAKABLE JOY IN CHRIST. He suffers, He walks, and He lives for the glory of His Savior. He's been faithful to one woman his whole marriage. He will have 25 family members gathered around him on Thursday to celebrate Thanksgiving. He is my hero. Every church needs folks like Gene.

I'm not impressed with men that know politics, guns, football stats, fishing stories, etc. I'm not impressed with men that can climb the corporate ladder. I'm not impressed with men that can tell me how to do my job better. I'm not impressed with men that womanize. I'm not impressed with men that can accomplish more earthly gain than me. I'm impressed with men like Gene Curtis who daily strips himself of himself and rejoices in the overflow of Christ's eternal joy.

I love church folks. They all are different. However, we must continue to find common ground and common joy in the everlasting joy of our Risen Savior.

I'm sure glad my computer was slow today and I walked downstairs.

Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments: