Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Shaking behind the sacred wooden desk

This past Sunday, my gracious Lord gave me the privilege to preach His Word to my church for 2 of the 3 services. The text was 1 John 2:15-17. The focus was on having an unrivaled love for the Father. This love involves denying a love for the world. It was a tough sermon. I've preached about 10 times in the past 4 years at my church. In those times, I approached the pulpit with great joy and excitement to preach. I didn't have that same approach this past Sunday. I was shaking behind the sacred wooden desk.

Where did the shakes come from? The night before I preached, Brooke and I enjoyed a dinner date at Longhorn steakhouse (praise the Lord for meat...). While we were eating, the thought of my task for Sunday came to my mind. The Lord entrusted me to handle His Word, preach His Word, and lead His bride in His Word for that Sunday. This tremendous task belongs to the pastor. Our pastor was out of country that Sunday. The task for that day was mine. It was tough. Please permit me to explain why the task of preaching is harder every time I do it.

In preaching, the preacher represents God to the people. The way he represents is found in accurately handling and declaring the full council of God's Word. The souls of those that are gathered are trusting in the preacher for the message. James 3:1 teaches us that there will be a day of accountability for the messages we preach. If preachers were to think of that tremendous task and responsibility...how can they not be nervous?!! If you were at my church, you may have noticed my shaking. The more I thought about the task ahead, the more frightened I became. I know, God's Word will not return void (Isaiah 55:11). However, this past Sunday was a beautiful point of my ministry that the sovereign and gracious Lord of this world reminded me of the important task that I was given. I would argue that the sermon is the most valuable set of time for the entire week.

I fear for pastors across this world that neglect His Word and preach their own ideas.

I don't know why God wanted me to preach. If you were to ask me, I can't really preach all that well. All I know is the joy of trusting the Lord in proclaiming His Word. Fear and humility is not fun. Fear leads me to the bathroom wanting to throw up (T.M.I., I know). However, fear this past Sunday gave me a sweet heart of worship and joy for my Lord. He chose a sinner such as me to represent His Word to His church. Talk about amazing grace!

I pray all preachers will join me in fear and reverence of the sacred wooden desk. May pulpits across the world be saturated with the Spirit and handled by God-fearing men that desire for souls to be saved by the matchless grace of our Father in Heaven.

Don't worry...Pastor Aaron will be back to preach! Pray for him daily. Pray for his preaching ministry and his tremendous task that he has before him every Sunday. That is the best way you can support and love your pastor!

Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments: