Thursday, November 19, 2009

How firm a foundation

Those who trust in the Lord are like Mount Zion,
which cannot be shaken but endures forever.
As the mountains surround Jerusalem,
so the Lord surrounds his people
both now and forevermore.
The scepter of the wicked will not remain
over the land allotted to the righteous,
for then the righteous might use
their hands to do evil.
Do good, O Lord, to those who are good,
to those who are upright in heart.
But those who turn to crooked ways
the Lord will banish with the evildoers.
Peace be upon Israel


I find it glorious that our Lord promises us a firm foundation as a result of our trust in Him. He gives us that great assurance in Psalm 125. Take a few minutes and read Psalm 125 a few times. Since it is only 5 verses long, it shouldn't take too much time. My desire today is for His Word to be immersed in your soul. After you've read this text a few times, I invite you continue with me as we examine it in our lives.

Mt. Zion in verse 1 is described as a foundation that, "cannot be shaken." The writer even goes to the great length to tell us that this foundation endures forever. If we are given that promise, why would we place our trust in the things of this world or in fallen man? I've placed my trust over the years in friendships that betrayed me. I've placed my trust in situations and seasons that changed. I've placed my trust in goals that failed. However, looking at this verse, I'm drawn to the beauty of trusting in the Lord. The result of that trust is a firm foundation that cannot be shaken...and endures forever! Isn't that glorious?! The writer goes on to explain that the Lord surrounds us with His glory like the mountains surround Jerusalem (V.2). The attacks from the adversary are only temporary (V.3), and will experience the wrath from the Mighty One (V.5). We are to simply trust in His provision and care. Our God is glorious. He sent His Son to give us a REASON to trust in Him...for the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus has established in us all the eternal, enduring, perfect, and invincible foundation of God.

Friend, trust in Him today. Don't get sucked into the trap of placing your trust in the things of this world that will eventually fade away (Isaiah 55). I want to close this day by quoting one of my favorite hymns. I invite you to sing it with me if you know the melody. Enjoy the enduring foundation of God's surrounding.

How Firm a Foundation, written in 1787 by John Keith.

How firm a foundation, ye saints of the Lord,
Is laid for your faith in His excellent word!
What more can He say than to you He hath said—
To you who for refuge to Jesus have fled?

“Fear not, I am with thee, oh, be not dismayed,
For I am thy God, and will still give thee aid;
I’ll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand,
Upheld by My gracious, omnipotent hand.

“When through the deep waters I call thee to go,
The rivers of sorrow shall not overflow;
For I will be with thee thy trouble to bless,
And sanctify to thee thy deepest distress.

“When through fiery trials thy pathway shall lie,
My grace, all-sufficient, shall be thy supply;
The flame shall not harm thee; I only design
Thy dross to consume and thy gold to refine.

“The soul that on Jesus doth lean for repose,
I will not, I will not, desert to his foes;
That soul, though all hell should endeavor to shake,
I’ll never, no never, no never forsake

Soli Deo Gloria!

Dave

No comments: