Wednesday, November 26, 2008

I respect good authors

(A.W. Tozer)

After more than 600 miles on the road, my wife and I have arrived to Yorktown, VA. It's such a beautiful place. I love this time of year. My family here welcomed us last night with loving arms and a comfortable bed to rest in! This morning, the coffee was already set and the living room was quiet for my time with the Lord. Needless to say, I can get used to this!





This morning, I finished a great book that I recommend to all of you: "The Pursuit of God" by A.W. Tozer. The last two chapters are my favorite. I've brought 3 books with me on this trip, and now I'm down to 2 that need to be read. I have much respect in good authors. In the past few years, I've added these to my list of "need to read" guys: John Piper, A.W. Tozer, Leonard Ravenhill, C.H. Spurgeon, and C.J. Mahoney (to name a few... the list is longer, I promise). This morning, this thought came to my mind: What makes a good author? I journal. I enjoy journaling. If you were to come upstairs to my study in my home, you'll see more than 2o journals tucked under our turtle tank (his name is Tortie). My best friend Jonathan challenged me to write when I was a sophmore in college, and I haven't stopped since. I recommend all of you to write.





So, back to the question: what makes a good author? I like to think of someone who knows the subject, has a passion for it, lives for it, and offers it in their life daily as a teacher. I like to think of someone as the master of that subject. I like to think of someone who could argue their writing in a defense, at any given time. If one can do such a thing; I would gladly call them a good author.





Look at this verse with me: fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God (Hebrews 12:2). Have you ever thought of Jesus as, "the author and perfecter of faith?" The writer of Hebrews challenges us with this thought. He uses the word, archegos (ar-khay-gos: a chief leader -- author, captain, or prince.) This is such an amazing word in this text to describe our pursuit; to fix our eyes on the author, captain, and prince of our faith! Compare this to other texts:





For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us; And the government will rest on His shoulders; And His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace - Isaiah 9:6 (emphasis added)





For it was fitting for Him, for whom are all things, and through whom are all things, in bringing many sons to glory, to perfect the author of their salvation through sufferings - Hebrews 2:10 (emphasis added)





And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the unfading crown of glory. - 1 Peter 5:4 (emphasis added)





being built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus himself being the chief cornerstone - Ephesians 2:20 (emphasis added)





I respect good authors. I worship the perfect and author of my faith. Just some simple thoughts after a glorious morning I've been blessed to have with the Savior; the author and perfecter of my faith. Do you know the author?

1 comment:

Tracy Roberts said...

I am reading "The Attibutes of God" volume 1, by A.W. Tozer. I highly recommend it as well.