Monday, November 17, 2008

Old Coffee; the stain of sin


Last Friday, I was impatiently waiting for the coffee to be made in the room next to me. The excitement of sharing a fresh cup of coffee with my friend Leon was building. While I was in the impatient stage, I noticed a travel mug on top of one of the cabinets. My curiosity took the best of my attention, as my right hand reached for the mug. As I was bringing the mug down to my level, my hand shook; causing the coffee to spill on me. I got a free drops on my polo as well as my slacks. I didn't think much of it, until a few minutes later when the smell arrived. I imagine that coffee mug was on the cabinet for about a year. The smell was horrible. I gagged. I almost cried. It smelled bad. After a few minutes passed, I went downstairs to pick up my mail; BAD MISTAKE! The ladies in the office were gagging... and crying. It was bad! I smelled like a middle school boys locker room in which AXE body spray has never set foot. Needless to say, I went home early to change. I don't know if I can ever wear those clothes again.




I believe there is an illustration here with sin. So often, people think of sin has simply "bad things." For example, if someone murders another person... that is sin. Or, if someone cheats on their wife, that is sin. We think of sin as big events that have no objections. However, with sin, sometimes I believe we can become so immersed with the world that we don't see or observe the stain or smell that is running rampant. I'll give you an example. Have you ever spent time with someone that is bitter? This bitter person is always complaining, always whining, always talking slander about others, or constantly bringing you down? Do you ever notice that the more you spend time with that person, the more you take on some of their traits? I beseech you to consider your life. Think about the stain or stench of sin that easily entangles not only your life, but others as well. I love what the writer of Hebrews writes, "Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us." Who surrounds you? What surrounds you? I encourage you to desire the stain or smell of sin to be removed from your life. Join the Psalmist when he wrote, "Create in me a clean heart, O God, And renew a steadfast spirit within me." You can do this by pursuing Christ




Let us join together with Paul by "looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus who gave Himself for us to redeem us from every lawless deed, and to purify for Himself a people for His own possession, zealous for good deeds." How can we rid ourselves from the pain of sin? It's found in no other place but through the cross of Christ. How can I be a better husband? I look at the cross. How can I get rid of bitterness from my heart? I look at the cross of Christ. How can I eliminate pride daily? I look at the cross.




I had to go home and change my clothes, because I was stained. My odor from the stain impacted others. I had to be washed. Here is a great verse to close with: "Purify me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; Wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow" (Psalm 51:7). (Hyssop was the little shrub 1Ki 4:33 with which the blood and water of purification were applied. Lev 14:1-7 Num 19:1-19). Today, we rejoice for we have been washed in the blood. Take your sins to the cross of Christ. It's time to change your clothes.




3 comments:

Canyon Shearer, DMin said...

I think it was Martin Luther that recommended the Christian consider their baths as rebaptisms to remind them of their cleansing in the Blood of the Lamb. I don't suppose Luther was able to shower daily, so we have even a bigger blessing. Not sure he had Axe body spray either!

Canyon Shearer, DMin said...

Also, "Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You clean the outside of the cup and dish, but inside they are full of greed and self-indulgence. Blind Pharisee! First clean the inside of the cup and dish, and then the outside also will be clean." (Matthew 23:25-26)

Bruce Simon said...

2 Corinthians 2:14But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of him. 15For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing. 16To the one we are the smell of death; to the other, the fragrance of life.