Monday, November 24, 2008

Post Qadosh: Why study Scripture?




Why would we dedicate a weekend to study Scripture? Why would anyone want to study the Word of God? Why would anyone want to attend an event in which the truth of Scripture will be proclaimed? I'm so overwhelmed today with great joy over this past weekend. My church hosted her annual "disciple-now weekend." I love these weekends. The basic idea is this: students stay the night in homes provided by the church, they receive small group Bible study and participate in large group worship and fellowship. This year, my church took the small group Bible studies and hosted them on campus; led by an elder, two staff members, and two lay-leaders. It was an incredible blessing! I'm so grateful for the all the leaders that sacrificed a weekend to lead students. I'm blessed to have the best adult leaders in this world. 15 host homes, several co-hosts, and other various leaders. Amen!




However, permit me to go back to the original question: "Why would we dedicate a weekend to study Scripture?" For our D-now, we studied Isaiah 6. The idea behind the weekend was: QADOSH (The Hebrew word for "holy"). In this passage, God is revealed in all His glory; in all His holiness. Isaiah is captured in the glory and humbly abides to the Almighty. It's a powerful chapter, I encourage you to read it! Why study Scripture? Why would any teenager want to dedicate a weekend for this? I believe we can find our answer in 2 John 9. John writes, " Anyone who goes too far and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God; the one who abides in the teaching, he has both the Father and the Son." The reason why my students participated in a weekend of studying Scripture is found in the grace of abiding in Christ. We are a church! Why wouldn't we study the Scriptures?




I've been to many disciple now weekends in my day. I couldn't tell you what I learned from all of them. I know many of them consisted of superficial games, activities, and lessons that were set out to entertain and not edify. I will not do that to my students. My role is to make sure they receive the teaching of Christ. Jesus said it best, "If you love me, you'll obey what I command" (John 14:6). I love Christ. I want my students to love Christ. I want them to be redeemed through Christ. Why would I teach something else? I believe John said it best; if anyone teaches too far or outside the truth of God... DOES NOT HAVE GOD! This may seem to be a tough verse, but I find such love and beauty in it.




Lets look at the word "abide." In the Greek, we get the word meno (men'-o: to stay in a given place, state, dwell, endure, be present, remain, stand, tarry (for). If we want to "stay in" or "dwell" in the person and lordship of Jesus Christ; WE WILL TEACH HIS WORD! This idea of abiding in His Word is amazing. I believe many youth groups reject this. They often make the mistake of sacrificing the Gospel for entertainment. I may not be the most popular youth minister in the world, but I will be one that teaches the Word. The beauty of the Word is the revelation of the Almighty! The Almighty reveals Himself through His Word. Did you catch that? He REVEALS HIMSELF through His Word! If We know that... why would we stray far from it? If we want God... we'll want His Word. It makes sense to me.




I hope you will join me in this passion. Why Study Scripture? It's simple. If I commit to abiding in Christ; for the glory of God the Father. If I believe my steps are annointed by the Holy Spirit. Then I will stay in, dwell, endure, be present in, remaind, and stand for His Word.




Thank you all for a great Disciple Now Weekend. I close with one of my favorite hymns by Munster Gesangbuch. Enjoy abiding in the truth of Christ.




Fairest Lord Jesus, ruler of all nature, O thou of God and man the Son, Thee will I cherish, Thee will I honor, thou, my soul's glory, joy, and crown.




Fair are the meadows, fairer still the woodlands, robed in the blooming garb of spring: Jesus is fairer, Jesus is purer who makes the woeful heart to sing.




Fair is the sunshine, fairer still the moonlight, and all the twinkling starry host: Jesus shines brighter, Jesus shines purer than all the angels heaven can boast.




Beautiful Savior! Lord of all the nations! Son of God and Son of Man! Glory and honor, praise, adoration, now and forevermore be thine

No comments: