Thursday, November 6, 2008

Revelation... not just the book! and a man from Kenya


In the past few days, I've been enriched by the revelation of God Almighty. When you think of that word "revelation," what comes to your mind? Is it just the last book of the Bible? Is it the end of times? Please join me for the next few moments as I expose to you what the Almighty has revealed to me. This word revelation goes so much farther than just a book.


In the Greek language, we see the word apokalupsis (ap-ok-al'-oop-sis) used to describe our english word for revelation. In the original New Testament language, the word was used in several forms: (disclosure -- appearing, coming, lighten, manifestation, be revealed, revelation) So, with that understanding, think with me for just a moment. Have God ever lightened you? Has He ever disclosed anything to you? Has He ever manifested Himself in you? (through His glorious Son; regeneration... we'll get to that important doctrine on a different post). Has He revealed anything to you? He has to me in the past day or two, and please permit me to share it with you.


In Ephesians 1:17, Paul writes "that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you a spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of Him." Here, we see from Paul that God has appeared, come, lightened, manifested, and revealed Himself through our knowledge of Him. How do we have knowledge of God? Through our Lord Jesus Christ! Do you know Him?


This is how this hits home with me. This week, I felt the Lord reveal to me a message from Psalm 27. In Psalm 27:1, we see a beautiful verse written by the pen of David. He writes, " The LORD is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear? The LORD is the defense of my life; Whom shall I dread?" While preparing to deliver this message to the high school students, I was overwhelmed with 3 incredible promises: The Lord is our light, our salvation, and our defense. What an amazing truth! What an incredible revelation! So... I shared last night with the students this message. Well, this morning, I was asked to speak at a middle school near my home. I woke up early, had my quiet time, got dressed and went to the school. When I arrived, I was informed that they accidently asked someone else to speak! (of course, this was God's plan at work). I was a bit bummed, because I spent time working on a message on the law. I was going to play a game with the students about wierd laws, teach them that there are 613 laws in the first 5 books of the Bible, and then explain how the law was fulfilled through Christ Jesus our Lord. I was going to open up and read Matthew 22:35-40, when the lawyer asks Jesus what was the most important law of them ALL (613 to choose from). I was going to point out the response from Jesus (And He said to him, "'YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND.'This is the great and foremost commandment.The second is like it, 'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.'On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets.") I was excited. I felt ready! I arrived, and His revelation for me was what I wasn't expecting!


A man from Kenya came and shared with the students a beautiful expostion from Mark 1017-25; the story of the Rich Young Ruler. He shared with the students how if we are truly "born again" (see John 3:1-8), than we want GOD. We want all of Him. We'll do whatever it takes to get Him! We'll sell everything we have... we'll give to the poor, etc. And then, after teaching this, the missionary from Kenya said the answer to the question the rich young ruler was seeking; Matthew 6:33! But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. How do we do that? We do that, by His revelation through His Son! God fulfilled the LAW. God gave us His amazing grace. God gave us His light, His salvation, His shield through the cross and resurrection of His Son! We receive revelation, the knowledge of God through the Son! We are born again through His Holy Spirit! (see Romans 8:5-9. 1 Cor 2:10). What an amazing truth! I wanted to teach the doctrine of Christ fulfilling the 613 laws this morning... God wanted a man from Kenya to remind me of the fact that HE DID. Not I... HE DID. He saved me. He brought me His revelation. Let us take time today to thank Him for His glorious revelation through Jesus Christ, our Savior and Lord.


Do you know Him? Has He ever been revealed to you? May the Gospel you know, you preach, you worship, you rejoice in; join Paul in full recognition when he writes, " For I neither received it from man, nor was I taught it, but I received it through a revelation of Jesus Christ" .

1 comment:

Bruce Simon said...

Dave, I love your latest blog and you convinced me to at least try to give it a go. Here is a link:
http://makemyjoycomplete.blogspot.com/