Friday, November 7, 2008

Walking in the Light


This morning, I was taken back by a few facebook pages of former students that are currently walking in the darkness. Their claim for following Christ was not supported well with what they presented on the internet. It broke my heart. Why? Because, I began to ponder... do they have a fellowship with God? Have they been born again? Does the Spirit dwell within them? Please pray for these students that are walking across college campuses full of darkness. If we truly have been purchased, ransomed through the blood of Christ; We have His Glorious Light!


1 John 1:5-8 teaches us "This is the message we have heard from Him and announce to you, that God is Light, and in Him there is no darkness at all If we say that we have fellowship with Him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth; but if we walk in the Light as He Himself is in the Light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin. If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar and His word is not in us. (NASB)


The light... are we walking in the light? I have come to the conviction that if we are truly the children of God; adopted by His amazing mercy and grace through the cross of Christ, then our lives must radiate His light! I hurt for people that claim to follow Christ but walk in the darkness. John made it clear in this passage, "If we say we have fellowship with Him while we walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth" (ESV). My question to you today is: are you walking in the light?


What I love about this passage is the door for correction we are given; verse 9. "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness" (ESV). Christians, children of the Living God, desire His light! Desire His presence! Pursue Him! I pray today that you will be careful how to walk, not as unwise but wise (Ephesians 5:15-16).


I love the words to this song that we sang this past Wednesday night. I want to close by quoting it to you:


Into marvelous light I'm running,Out of darkness, out of shame.
By the cross you are the truth,You are the life, you are the way

-Marvelous Light, by Charlie Hall.


Today, may His gracious Spirit lead you to walk in His Marvelous Light.

3 comments:

Bruce Simon said...

How ironic that both you and I are in 1 John 1. Can you say confluence?

Sandi said...

There goes Bruce using those big words again!! Great post Dave. I am going to subscribe to the RSS feed for your blog and I can read it on my iphone!!

Dave Snyder said...

Thanks for the posts. Sandi, it's good to have you on here!